During the follicular phase of our menstrual cycle, we typically find ourselves with a boost in energy, brain power and mood - thanks to the rise in the hormones, progesterone and estrogen. All the while, our ovaries are preparing and maturing an egg to be released as we approach ovulation.
So what should we eat for a little extra support during the follicular phase? Well, we want to focus on foods that support healthy estrogen production and replenish nutrients lost during menstruation (like iron).
Foods to incorporate during the follicular phase include:
• Ground flaxseeds - great source of phytoestrogens that help with hormone and estrogen balance
• Healthy fats rich in omega 3 fatty acids - nuts, seeds, fish, avocado, olive oil
• Fiber-rich foods - grains, veggies, leafy greens, nuts
• Vitamin C loaded foods - citrus, berries, bell peppers
• Iron-rich animal and/or plant-based foods - salmon, eggs, chicken, fish, lentils and beans, cacao powder
• Cruciferous vegetables - kale, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower
For a little inspo and to make it easier, here is a delicious and nutritious breakfast recipe that is great for the follicular phase!
Cacao, Mint and Berry Smoothie 🍫 🌱🫐🍓
1 cup frozen organic berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries)
2 cups organic baby spinach
2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
1 Tbsp cacao powder
¼ cup cashews
¼ cup fresh mint
1 cup almond milk
Place all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender.
Blend until smooth.
Pour into a glass, and enjoy!